You can customize the top navigation bar of your PhotoShelter for Brands Portal to suit your organization’s needs by hiding or displaying system links and/or adding custom hyperlinks to other webpages. Both an Admin and Editor(s) can edit this on the Navigation page within the Portal Settings. Changes on the Navigation page are saved automatically.
Workflow Tip: have your Portal open in a separate web browser window while working on settings. Click to refresh the webpage in that separate browser to see the changes update live on your Portal.
Display, Hide, and Move Portal Navigation Items
By default, all navigation items are visible on your Portal:
- Upload (visible only to logged-in Contributors)
You can hide items that you don’t want your Portal visitors to see, or rearrange the sequence of existing nav items. For example, if you don’t want to enable e-commerce for your PhotoShelter for Brands account, you might choose to hide the Cart item from your Portal navigation.
1. Click the Admin > Portal Settings > Navigation.
2. To hide a nav item, hover over the left side of the item, click and hold on the handle that appears, and drag and drop it to the right in the Hidden Nav Items column.
Above: Hiding the Help nav item by dragging it to Hidden Nav Items, then clicking View Portal to confirm that the Help link is no longer visible
You can also rearrange the sequence in which nav items appear across the Portal navigation bar. On the Navigation settings page, hover over the left side of a nav item, click and hold on the handle that appears, and drag & drop the item to its new place in the list.
The Galleries system link cannot be moved or renamed, and will always appear first in your visible nav items (see System Links section below for more info).
Above: dragging the Search nav item to the top of Visible Nav Items, then clicking View Portal to confirm that the Search link has been relocated
All changes to nav visibility or item sequence will autosave, and a save confirmation message will appear for a few moments at the bottom left of your web browser window.
Every PhotoShelter for Brands Portal comes with a set of prebuilt, standard pages. In your navigation, these are called System Links. System links include Galleries, Lightboxes, Search, Contact, Cart, Help, Login/Logout, and Upload (visible only to logged-in Contributors).
On the Navigation page, you can move, hide, and display certain system links in your topnav. However, you cannot rename or delete these links:
- Help (links to the PhotoShelter for Brands Support Center Invited Users section)
You cannot move, edit, hide, rename, or delete other system links. These links will always display. They are not listed on the Navigation page, since they are permanent links:
- Login, Hi, [first name], and Logout (visible only when logged into the Portal)
- Upload (visible only to logged-in Contributors)
Lightboxes and Cart
The visibility of the Lightboxes and Cart in your Portal topnav also controls whether the Add to Lightbox and Add to Cart icons display in the bottom toolbar when viewing a single image. (Add to Cart will only appear for images that an Admin or Editor has priced for sale.) Likewise, if you hide the Cart item in the topnav, it will also hide the Add to Cart icon in the bottom toolbar.
If Lightboxes is in your Visible Nav Items, the Add to Lightbox icon will also be visible for your images. Likewise, if you hide the Lightboxes item in the topnav, it will also hide the Add to Lightboxes icon in the bottom toolbar.
Add Custom Links
You can add custom links to other webpages in your Portal topnav.
1. Click Admin > Portal Settings > Navigation.
2. Click either Add Visible Link or Add Hidden Link, depending on whether you’re ready to display the custom link to your Portal visitors immediately or not.
3. Give your custom link a name. This is the text that will appear in the Portal navigation bar.
4. Add the URL for the custom link.
- You should always include either http:// or https:// in the URL. If you’re unsure which to use, you can copy and paste the URL from another browser tab into the URL field of the custom link.
5. Click the checkmark to save.
Above: adding a new link to the topnav, then clicking View Portal to see the new link in the Portal topnav
Editing and Deleting Custom Links
- To edit a custom link, hover over it and click the pencil icon.
- To delete a custom link, hover over it and click the trash can icon, then confirm that you’d like to delete the link.
- Deletion is permanent, so if you think you might want to use the custom link again, you can always just move it to your Hidden Nav Items column.
- Clicking a custom link on your Portal topnav will open the link in a new browser tab.
Tips & Tricks
- Examples of custom links that might be helpful for your Portal users:
- Company site: link to your organization’s main website, so Portal users can navigate easily between your media library and your main website
- Featured galleries: link to “This Week’s Game” or “Featured Galleries” and add a link to a publicly visible collection or gallery in your media library. The collection or gallery should be publicly visible for this to work properly, so that all of your Portal visitors can access the content when they click the nav link.
- Custom contact form: hide the existing Contact system link, and then create a custom contact form using a different website and link to it in your topnav.
- Documents to help visitors use your Portal: add a link to an online document stored in a publicly visible gallery, like a PDF detailing how to use your Portal or a copy of a usage rights agreement. You could also link to private webpages hosted on your own website that detail how to use the Portal, keyword lists to aid your stakeholders’ search experience, etc.
- Newsletter signup: to capture the email addresses of internal stakeholders or public visitors engaging with your Portal, invite them to sign up for an email newsletter by linking to your email marketing service's signup page.
- Workflow Tip: have your Portal open in a separate web browser window while working on the Portal Navigation page. Refresh the other window to see the changes live on your Portal.
- Depending on the size of your browser window, the width of your logo, and the number of links in your topnav, your topnav may collapse into a menu icon.
- Smaller laptops and mobile devices such as phones and tablets will be more likely to see the menu icon.
- If you have all of the default nav items showing, the nav will likely collapse at a browser size of 768x1024 (most iPads)
Above: the Portal navigation shown collapsed into a menu icon on the right