The Canva integration will allow Library Staff and Invited Users of Brands accounts to use PSB image assets directly in Canva projects. Your Library Staff and Invited Users can easily browse and search your PhotoShelter Library and import supported image files to the Canva Library or directly into a Canva project without having to download it locally first. All users will need to be given download access to import files into Canva.
The Canva integration can be used within a free, Pro, or Team level Canva account. Please note that using a PhotoShelter asset in a Canva project is considered an "upload" to Canva, so ensure your Canva account has ample storage if needed.
Contact the Customer Success team to add the Canva Integration to your PhotoShelter for Brands account.
- In your Canva account, navigate to Discover Apps and search for PhotoShelter.
- Select the app and click Connect to authenticate your PhotoShelter account.
- Log in and select your working Library from the account drop-down.
- Once logged in, your Library and/or Invited User content will appear in the left pane. You must have visibility and download access to use it.
- Search for content using the Search terms field, or navigate through your Library content to find an image file.
- Click on an image file to place it in your Canva project, or drag-and-drop the image into the project.
Browsing & Searching
Our Canva integration will only display content up to five folders deep in your Library. Both Library Staff and Invited Users will need to be given download access to import files into Canva.
To browse content in your PhotoShelter Library:
- Select a folder to navigate through its corresponding galleries or image files
- Use the back arrow next to the collection or gallery name to navigate back to the root folder in your Library
To search content in your PhotoShelter Library:
- Use the search field at the top of the app pane to locate assets using filename, IPTC Keywords, and IPTC Description/Caption terms.
Note: Searching for assets in the integration is dependent on your permission to the collections and galleries in your Library. If you’re unable to find an image file using your search terms, confirm with Library Staff that you have permission to view and download the content you need access to.
The integration currently supports image files. You will not be able to upload video, audio or other files to Canva via the integration. Using a Library asset in a Canva project will be counted as an "upload" to Canva, so please make sure your account has ample storage.
To upload an image file to a Canva project:
- Click an asset to place it in your Canva project, or drag the asset into your project from the left pane
Note: Image files will upload to Canva based on the largest size a user has permission to download.
Troubleshooting & FAQ
Does the integration currently support SSO logins or Two-factor authentication?
No. During authentication, you will log into your PhotoShelter account using the email address and password you set up for your PhotoShelter account initially. If you have not set a unique password for your PhotoShelter account, please reach out to Technical Support.
I can’t browse or search for video files or documents in Canva.
The integration only supports image files. To upload a non-image file in your Library to a Canva project, save the file locally and upload it to Canva using the Upload feature.
I’m not able to upload an image file to my Canva project.
Using a Library asset in a Canva project will be counted as an "upload" to Canva. Make sure your Canva account has ample storage space before uploading additional files to your project. You will also need to have download access to the assets to import them into Canva.
Can I save my Canva project back to PhotoShelter?
No. The integration does not support uploading back to your PhotoShelter Library. To upload a Canva project to PhotoShelter, save it locally first, then use one of our supported upload methods to upload it to your Library.
Can I search for a Smart Gallery using the Canva integration?
No, the integration does not currently support Smart Galleries.
I’m not able to find the assets I need when searching for them in Canva.
You do not have permission to view and download from the source collection/gallery in PhotoShelter. Contact a member of your Library Staff to request permission to the content you need access to.