PhotoShelter for Brands now offers a growing set of third-party integrations used to streamline your team’s creative workflow from all corners of your organization. Seamlessly transfer files from your team’s Box, Dropbox or Google Drive accounts to a destination inside your Library, all without leaving PhotoShelter.
How the Google Drive Integration Works
The Google Drive integration allows Library Staff to configure multiple solutions that trigger file transfers from a source folder in Google to a target collection within your organization’s Library. Our API allows you to connect multiple Google Drive accounts to the integration and create as many unique solutions as needed.
Currently the integration supports setting up a one-time transfer of contents from a Google Drive folder into a destination collection in PhotoShelter.
Note: This integration supports importing up to 10 nested folder layers (a hierarchy) of content from any given folder. You can configure as many transfer solutions as you need from different folders in Google Drive.
The Google Drive Integration requires an additional Editor seat to be added to your subscription. This will serve as your designated integrations account and will be what is used to connect the Integration to PhotoShelter without impacting your login limit.
Contact the Customer Success team to add the Google Drive Integration to your PhotoShelter for Brands account.
Once you’ve purchased the integration, your Customer Success Manager will connect you to Technical Support who can assist in this process. They will require that you provide us with an email address that can be used solely with the integration. This email address cannot be associated with any current user in our system as it must be designated for connecting to the PhotoShelter Integrations. The Integrations Editor Seat will be assigned to this email address provided. Once that seat is configured, follow these steps to complete the setup process:
1. Log into PhotoShelter using the Integrations Editor Account.
2. Click "Google Drive" on the Integrations Directory under "Admin" > "Integrations."
3. Click "Create new integration."
4. Give your integration a title and description and click "Create."
5. In the popup that appears, log into your Google Drive account and authorize the Integration to access your account.
6. Once Authorized, click "+ Create new solution" and give your solution a name and description. You can create as many solutions as you need to transfer from different folders.
7. This step is important to do before step 8. In your Google Drive account for the
folders that you want transferred, you need to share access to email@example.com. You will share access to each folder you want transferred the same way you would when adding permission to another gmail user. You do not need to send a notification.
8. Under "Solution Trigger," choose "One-Time Transfer from Folder."
9. Under “Action,” choose “Transfer to PhotoShelter collection.”
10. Under “Solution details,” use the “Choose a Google Drive folder” link to select a source folder in your Google Drive account. You can only select one folder per solution but you can add as many solutions as you need. The import will pull in up to 5 folders in depth from the folder you select here.
11. Under “PhotoShelter Collection name,” choose an existing Collection in the Library as your transfer destination.
12. Save your solution by clicking “Create.”
One-time Transfers will begin automatically and can be confirmed by checking the target Collection in the Library. Currently the integration only supports a one time transfer from Google from one folder (not subfolders).
Can I set up a two way sync of files between both locations?
No, the Integration will only import from Google Drive to PhotoShelter, not the other way around. Any files deleted in Google Drive will not be deleted in PhotoShelter and any files deleted in PhotoShelter will not delete files in Google Drive.
How long does it take a transfer to complete?
This will depend on the amount of files and folders that you have chosen to transfer. For a larger migration of hundreds or more files, you may need to leave it working for a few minutes to a few hours. Smaller batches of transfers complete in much less time.
Can I navigate away from PhotoShelter during a transfer?
Yes, once the solution is turned on, the transfer happens in the background until it has completed. You do not need to remain logged into PhotoShelter or remain online.
Can I import files from multiple source folders in Google Drive into a single target collection in PhotoShelter?
Yes, you can import up to 10 nested folders from the target folder you are importing from in Google Drive. If you want to import from different top level folders in Google Drive, you will need to create a separate solution in the integration for each and share the folders with the integration email firstname.lastname@example.org (Step 7).
Can I transfer from multiple Google Drive accounts?
Yes, you will need to configure the integration for each account you want to transfer from (starting at step 1 above).
What file types are supported?
The same file types that PhotoShelter supports can be imported with the Integration. Google proprietary document files will not be imported (i.e. Google docs, Sheets, Slides etc.). Please see this article for more information: What File Types are Supported?
Do I need to set permissions on the target galleries and collections after each new Google Drive folder is imported?
New galleries the integration creates to correspond with folders in Google Drive will default to the permission set of red eye, red arrow (no one but me visibility and download access). You can change the permissions after the galleries and collections are created.
Can I turn off my solutions at any time?
Yes, but keep in mind that any Google Drive solutions will not continue to import files if the solution is disabled.
I see files in my source folder in Google Drive that are not in my target collection. What could cause this?
A few things you can check on are:
- Be sure to invite email@example.com to all folders you want to transfer in Google Drive before configuring solutions that import from those folders. Otherwise, the transfer will not happen.
- The Integration Supports a one-time transfer (migration) only, so new files that were uploaded to that folder will not be pushed to PhotoShelter after the initial transfer. You will need to make a new solution with the Solution Trigger “Transfer from Folder” which will be an ongoing import.
- Is the solution that you are expecting to have imported the files turned “On” in the Google Drive Integration setup page? Make sure that the toggle is "On."
If you have additional questions, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager.