The Google Drive integration allows Library Staff to configure multiple solutions that trigger file transfers from a source folder in Google to a target collection within your organization’s Library.
How it Works
Our API allows you to connect multiple Google Drive accounts to the integration and create as many unique solutions as needed.
Solution Types for Google Drive include:
- A one-time transfer of folders from your Google Drive account into a destination collection in PhotoShelter
- An ongoing sync of files from a folder in Google Drive to a destination gallery in PhotoShelter. This solution type works continuously, so each time new content is uploaded to the target folder in Google Drive, the content also transfers automatically into the destination collection/gallery in PhotoShelter.
Note: This integration supports a multi-tiered import up to 10 folders deep.
The Google Drive Integration is a paid add-on and requires an additional Editor seat to be added to your subscription. This will serve as your designated integrations account and connects the integration to PhotoShelter without impacting your login limit.
Contact the Customer Success team to add the Google Drive Integration to your PhotoShelter for Brands account.
Once you’ve purchased the integration, your Customer Success Manager will connect you to Technical Support who can assist in this process. They will require that you provide us with an email address that can be used solely with the integration. This email address cannot be associated with any current user in our system as it must be designated for connecting to the PhotoShelter Integrations. The Integrations Editor Seat will be assigned to this email address provided. Once that seat is configured, follow these steps to complete the setup process:
1. Log into PhotoShelter using the Integrations Editor Account.
2. Under Admin > Integrations, select Google Drive in the Integrations Directory.
3. Click Create new Integration.
4. Add a title and description and click Create.
5. In the popup that appears, log into your Google Drive account and authorize the Integration to access your account.
6. Once authorized, click +Create new solution and add a title and description. You can create as many solutions as needed to transfer from different folders.
7. IMPORTANT: Before setting up your solution details, any folders in Google Drive that will be transferred to PhotoShelter must be shared with email@example.com. In Google Drive, you will share access with the email above the same way you share access with members of your team.
8. Under Solution Trigger, select a One-Time Transfer from Folder or Sync a Google Drive folder with a Collection.
9. Under Action, choose Transfer to PhotoShelter collection.
10. Under Solution details, use the Choose a Google Drive folder link to select a source folder in your Google Drive account to transfer. You can only select one folder per solution but you can add as many solutions as you need. The import will pull in up to 10 folders in depth from the folder you select here.
11. Under PhotoShelter Collection name, enter the name of the destination collection in the Library. This field will auto-populate.
12. Save your solution by clicking Create.
One-time Transfers will begin automatically and can be confirmed by checking the destination collection in the Library.
Can I set up a two way sync of files between both locations?
No, the Integration will only import from Google Drive to PhotoShelter, not the other way around. Any files deleted in Google Drive will not be deleted in PhotoShelter and any files deleted in PhotoShelter will not delete files in Google Drive.
How long does it take a transfer to complete?
This will depend on the amount of files and folders that you have chosen to transfer. For a larger migration of hundreds or more files, you may need to leave it working for a few minutes to a few hours. Smaller batches of transfers complete in much less time.
Can I navigate away from PhotoShelter during a transfer?
Yes, once the solution is turned on, the transfer happens in the background until it has completed. You do not need to remain logged into PhotoShelter or remain online.
Can I import files from multiple source folders in Google Drive into a single target collection in PhotoShelter?
Yes, you can import up to 10 nested folders from the target folder you are importing from in Google Drive. If you want to import from different top level folders in Google Drive, you will need to create a separate solution in the integration for each and share the folders with the integration email firstname.lastname@example.org (Step 7).
Can I transfer from multiple Google Drive accounts?
Yes, you will need to configure the integration for each account you want to transfer from (starting at step 1 above).
What file types are supported?
The same file types that PhotoShelter supports can be imported with the Integration. Google proprietary document files will not be imported (i.e. Google docs, Sheets, Slides etc.). Please see this article for more information: What File Types are Supported?
Do I need to set permissions on the target galleries and collections after each new Google Drive folder is imported?
New galleries the integration creates to correspond with folders in Google Drive will default to the permission set of red eye, red arrow (no one but me visibility and download access). You can change the permissions after the galleries and collections are created.
Can I turn off my solutions at any time?
Yes, but keep in mind that any Google Drive solutions will not continue to import files if the solution is disabled.
I see files in my source folder in Google Drive that are not in my target collection. What could cause this?
A few things you can check on are:
- Be sure to invite email@example.com to all folders you want to transfer in Google Drive before configuring solutions that import from those folders. Otherwise, the transfer will not happen.
- If your solution type is set to a one-time transfer, new files uploaded to the source folder in Google Drive will not be pushed to PhotoShelter after the initial transfer. You will need to make a new solution with the Solution Trigger Sync a Google Drive Folder with a Collection which performs a continuous transfer between the source and target folders.
- Is the solution that you are expecting to have imported the files turned “On” in the Google Drive Integration setup page? Make sure that the toggle is "On."
Questions? Need a hand getting started? Reach out to our Technical Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.