The PhotoShelter Integration for Slack enables members of your organization to subscribe to real-time Gallery and Workspace notifications via Slack, and allows your team to search for and share public content in your PhotoShelter Library directly in your team's Slack workspace.
How it Works
After adding the PhotoShelter app to your team's Slack Workspace, users will be able to search for content, post that content to public or private channels, and opt-in to notifications using the Solution Triggers indicated in our Setup steps.
Users can control notifications for public content at the gallery and collection level, send notifications from multiple galleries/collections to a single Slack channel, or send notifications to multiple Slack channels at once.
Slack notifications are available for the following actions in PhotoShelter:
- When files are added to a specific publicly visible Gallery
- When files are added to a specific Workspace
- When approvals or comments are added to files in a specific Workspace
The PhotoShelter Integration for Slack is a paid add-on and requires an additional Editor seat to be added to your subscription. This Editor Seat serves as your designated integrations account and connects the integration to PhotoShelter without impacting your login limit.
Contact the Customer Success team to add the PhotoShelter Integration for Slack to your PhotoShelter for Brands account.
Once the integration has been purchased, you'll need to set up the PhotoShelter Integration for Slack in your PhotoShelter for Brands account:
- Log into PhotoShelter.
- Click Slack on the Integrations Directory.
- Click Create new integration.
- Give your integration a Title and Description and click Create.
- Click Authorize Slack.
- Sign in to Slack in the resulting dialog.
- Click Allow to give PhotoShelter permission to connect to Slack.
- Click Create new solution.
- Follow the prompts to set up the notifications you want. Solution Trigger options refer to what you want the integration to notify in the channel you designate:
- Gallery Add Media - Notifies in the channel when a new single file has been added to the chosen gallery and links to the asset or gallery it is in.
- Gallery Add Media Rollup - Notifies in the channel the quantity of uploads made within a 1-minute span in the chosen gallery and links to the assets.
- Workspace Add Media - Notifies in the channel when a new single file has been added to the chosen workspace and links to the workspace.
- Workspace Add Media Rollup - Notifies in the channel the quantity of uploads made within a 1-minute span in the chosen workspace and links to the workspace.
- Workspace Media Comment - Notifies the channel of what new comment was made in the chosen workspace and links to the workspace.
- Workspace Media Comment Rollup - Notifies in the channel a list of what comments were made within a 1-minute span in the chosen workspace. It also links to the workspace.
- Workspace Media Review - Notifies the channel of a new approval made in the chosen workspace and links to the workspace.
- Workspace Media Review Rollup - Notifies in the channel a quantity of what approvals were made within a 1-minute span in the chosen workspace. It also links to the workspace.
Note: Links to assets will only appear on publicly visible content. If the content is not publicly visible, no link will appear, and no notification will be received.
10. Under Solution Action choose "Publish to Slack Channel."
11. Depending on the Solution Trigger you chose, you will need to enter the name of the Workspace or Gallery you want the integration to watch for PhotoShelter Gallery name or PhotoShelter Workspace name. Predictive text will search for matching galleries to choose from.
12. Under Channel Name, enter the name of the channel you want the solution to publish to exactly as it appears in your Slack application after the # symbol. Do not include the # symbol. There is no predictive text for this field.
13. Click Save. Once complete, the notifications you've configured will appear in the selected channel as new actions are taken in PhotoShelter.
Note: For locked channels, you need to invite the @PhotoShelterBrands app to the channel before notifications can appear in the channel.
Sharing PhotoShelter Images in Slack
After you've set up the PhotoShelter Integration for Slack, you'll be able to search for PhotoShelter images from publicly visible galleries and share them in Slack. The search will return results only for images in galleries that are publicly visible, so keep this in mind when you roll out the integration to your organization.
To use search:
- Your PhotoShelter Brands account needs to be connected to the Integration first (Steps 1-7 in the "Setup" section above.)
- Open the Slack channel where you'd like to share a PhotoShelter image
- Type /psb-search term
- Replace term with the search term of your choice. Results pull from IPTC Description/Caption, Title, Keywords, and Filename.
- Press enter to see search results. Next to the filename of the first result, you will see the total number of results and which result you are viewing of the results.
- Browse through the search results by clicking Previous or Next and click Send to share the image in Slack.
Will the PhotoShelter Integration for Slack allow me to control notifications and links to content that is not publicly visible?
No. A link will only be posted to the Slack channel if the content is publicly available. This also means that links will not be posted to a slack channel and a notification will not be received if the content is not publicly available.
Can you send notifications from multiple Galleries or Workspaces to a single Slack channel?
Yes. To do this, you'll need to create a solution for each of the Galleries or Workspaces you want notifications for. Each of the solutions should be configured with the same Slack channel name.
Can you send notifications from the same Gallery or Workspace to multiple Slack channels?
Yes. As above, you'll need to create a solution for each Slack channel you want to receive the notifications. In these solutions, the Gallery (or Workspace) will stay the same and the Slack channels will be different.
Can you send notifications to locked Slack channels?
Yes. If you want to send notifications to a locked channel, you'll need to invite the PhotoShelter Brands app to the channel with @PhotoShelterBrands.