The simplest way to upload all file types into PhotoShelter for Brands is through your web browser. Administrators and Editors can easily drag and drop any file type into the center pane of an open Gallery in the Library. This upload method is an ideal method when you're working with a handful of files or adding additional files to a new gallery. With large bulk uploads, we recommend using Desktop Uploader or Incoming FTP.
Benefits of the Web Uploader
- Simplest upload method (drag and drop)
- Immediate identification of previews of assets
- Duplicate file handling (by filename)
- Supports the upload of all file types
- Ideal if you want to be thorough and careful about your upload (versus Incoming FTP, which would get all files uploaded in one fell swoop)
Limitations of the Web Uploader
- Does not support folders (must select and drag in files)
- Not recommended for large uploads, as it can be time consuming (the recommended maximum upload of images is 200 at a time, depending on the file sizes)//
Here's how to upload using your web browser:
Log in to your PhotoShelter for Brands account at https://brands.photoshelter.com.
From the Media menu, select Library.
In the left pane, create or select an existing Gallery. (Learn more about creating Galleries and Collections)
In the right pane, click the Upload button.
Drag and drop files from your desktop into the marked rectangle, or click Select Files to select them from their location on your desktop. Note: your selection for upload must be files, since the web uploader cannot upload a selected file folder.
Alternatively, don't click the Upload button--simply drag and drop files into the center pane of the Gallery to launch the uploader. If you need to add a handful of files to an existing gallery, this is an easy way for the Admin and Editors to do so.
As files are uploaded, you will see a thumbnail preview appear. If you need to continue to work in PhotoShelter for Brands while your upload is processing in the active tab, you may need to open a second tab and work around the gallery that is actively being uploaded into. Upload times will vary based on your Internet connection speed.
The menu in the top right corner of the uploader has options for how to handle duplicate files:
When the uploader discovers that a new file you're uploading has a filename identical to a file that already exists in the gallery (such as baseball-game.jpg):
- "Skip existing files": the new file will be skipped, and will not be uploaded. The existing file will continue to live in the gallery.
- "Allow duplicate files": the new file will be uploaded, so you will now have files with the same filename within the gallery.
- "Replace existing images": this works for images only.
- The new image will replace the existing image. You will lose any existing metadata and custom metadata applied to the existing image. However, the PhotoShelter for Brands File ID (found under Basic Info in the right pane) will remain the same.
- Non-image files such as video, audio, and other files will upload regardless of whether or not files of the same exact name already exist in the gallery, so you may end up with some duplicate files.
Note: In order to maintain optimal performance, try to keep each gallery under 10,000 assets.